Intuit has released an update to Intuit Data Protect that fixes a problem that some people have run into. It also provides some additional internal diagnostics. These updates SHOULD be pushed to your system if you have enabled Automatic Updates, but you should check to be sure that you have it.
- If the location of your company file was in a folder that had a long path – such as a very large folder name or a folder that was nested many levels, the backup would fail with a “path too long” exception. This is fixed.
- There is an error that can occur in some cases (a “Null Reference Exception”) that may require tech support assistance to fix – this release of the program adds some additional diagnostic information to help the support staff.
This version is 18.104.22.16804. How do you know if you have the most current version? Right click the Intuit Data Protect icon in your system try, and select “About Intuit Data Protect”. The version will be displayed.
What if you don’ t have the latest version?
- Run QuickBooks.
- Select the “Help” menu, then “Update QuickBooks”.
- Click the “Update Now” tab.
- Make sure that “Data Protect” is checked as part of the updates.
- Select the “Reset Update” checkbox and click “Get Updates”.
- Once the updates complete, close the window and close QuickBooks.
- Right click on the Intuit Data Protect icon in your system tray, and select “About Intuit Data Protect” and take note of the version you are running now.
If you have version 22.214.171.12408 or higher, click the “Update” button and follow the instructions that are displayed.
If you have an older version it is a bit more complicated to install the update.
- Right click on the Intuit Data Protect icon in the system tray and select “Exit Intuit Data Protect”.
- Open Task Manager and verify that IntuitDataProtect.exe and IBUEngHost.exe are not running. End Task on them if they are.
- In Windows Explorer locate the following folder:
- Windows 7 or Vista: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 2011\Components\DataProtect\OCD
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 2011\Components\DataProtect\OCD
- Move all of the folders that you find in that locatin to the following location:
- Windows 7 or Vista: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\DataProtect
- Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\DataProtect
- Open QuickBooks and click the “View Details” link under “Backup Status” on the Home Page to launch Intuit Data Protect.
- Right click the system tray icon for Intuit Data Protect and choose “About Intuit Data Protect”, and verify that you have version 126.96.36.19904.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Charlie Russell is the founder of CCRSoftware. He’s been involved with the small business software industry since the mid 70’s, focusing on inventory and accounting software for small businesses. Charlie is a Certified Advanced QuickBooks ProAdvisor. Look for Charlie’s articles in the Accountex Report blog, as well as his California Wildflower Hikes blog.